October 31, 2008

The pros and cons of notebooks


I agree that Netbooks have some value- its in the portability. However, the major drawback of these devices is that they are still not easy to use when you walk around or stand. Its hard to walk and type and its hard to use the touchpad. Thats why Slate Tablet PCs are a much better choice. I have a motion computing LE1700 for some of the same reasons you suggest Chris. However, I can manipulate the device standing up or sitting down. Battery life is 8 hours and the devices weighs 3 LBs. Without the extended battery- 2LBs 4hrs battery life.

I see dual core laptops for sale for around $500-$600 in the Sunday Newspapers Sales Flyers at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max, Stapels Etc.... every week. Why pay $500 for a glorified netbook when for $100 more you can buy a real laptop. Other then the size/portability there is no real advantage unless you buy the low end netbook - then price becomes a factor. I guess the netbooks are worth it if you only want to use it as an internet device, hence the term Netbook.
For $400, I recently purchased the Acer Aspire One, complete with XP Home, 1GB of memory, and a 160GB hard drive. I also have the upgraded 6 cell battery...which will last 5+ hours. The webcam is fairly low resolution, but works fine. I really don't need an optical drive, as most things can be accessed by a jump drive. I have absolutely no problem running Citrix / VPN to connect to work. MS Office also runs smoothly. With the incredible portability and inexpensive price, it's ideal for travel or just sitting on the couch and surfing. Please explain how a gameboy is better than this???

I've been researching the possibility of buying a notebook, like the ACER Aspirer One, 160 GB, 6-volt battery because I travel for work, alot. I'm tired of lugging around a 10 pound bag. These devices are small, light, and convient for travel. Some drawl backs; some lack suffiecent battery life, storage is limited, and many only have usb drives. Perks, they have wireless internet connections and are great for transporting projects. Be sure to check out the canon micro-projecter. Technological life shouldn't be a burden, it was meant to free us from the network.

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment