April 10, 2008

Rolling Stones Review Album Shine A Light


THE ROLLING STONES 'Shine A Light’ is the soundtrack to director Martin Scorsese’s film of the same name, which documents The Rolling Stones’ performances at New York’s Beacon Theatre on October 29 and November 1, 2006.
Today's video is The Godfathers - I Want Everything

With special guests Jack White and Christina Aguilera joining the Stones onstage. This two-disc set comprises twenty-two tracks, four of which are not included in the film.

I wasn’t too impressed with this album, but then again I wasn’t expecting to be. It includes all the classics ('Paint It Black’, 'Satisfaction’, 'Brown Sugar’, 'Start Me Up’ etc), as well as some lesser known songs, but these versions are all shadows of the original recordings.

Jagger shouts and pouts his way throught the classics and the band are generally pretty sloppy. The acoustic guitars have a horrible thin piezo sound that would never make it within ten feet of a 'Stones studio album. 'Shattered’, the opening track, is particularly weak. I have immense respect for Keith Richards as a guitarist, but they really shouldn’t let him sing. In his condition and all. His vocal on 'Connection’ sounds like drunken karaoke.

Jack White’s guest spot on 'Loving Cup’ works well, but Christina Aguilera bellows her way through 'Live With Me’ – I was hoping for better from such an acomplished singer, still the backing band were prety rough around the edges which probably didn’t help. Apparently there’s a Buddy Guy collaboration on the CD too but it didn’t appear on my review copy. The title track 'Shine A Light’ (never before released as a live recording) works well.

Don’t get me wrong - I like the Rolling Stones! I just didn’t lke this album. I’m sure that there was a great atmosphere at the live show, but as a stand alone audio product I’m just not convinced. The songs aren’t awful, but they are very weak in comparison to the recordings I know and love. If you’re a 'Stones completist then get yourself a copy, but otherwise you’d be better off spending your hard earned on Beggars Banquet or Sticky Fingers.

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment